Basics of Seismic Petroleum Exploration for New Hires
Author: Robert Font, PhD, CPG, PG, EurGeol
AIPG accredited; 0.8 to 1.0 CEU without/with optional exam
**This course is temporarily available by CD only with questionnaires/additional material available via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is intended as a basic review of seismic prospecting methods for locating and extracting oil and gas global resources. It begins with a review of world hydrocarbon reserves, production and consumption, as well as overall goals and methods which apply to petroleum exploratory efforts. It then concentrates on the specific importance of the seismic method in the modern search and development of these reserves. Specifically, the course addresses the following topics:
• Seismic waves, rock deformation, elastic versus plastic behavior, elastic properties and density of earth materials and corresponding seismic wave velocities.
• Seismic wave propagation and key travel time equations.
• Single fold versus multi-fold coverage, horizontal versus dipping reflectors, offsets, multiples and diffractions.
• Seismic acquisition, processing, corrections and velocity terminology.
• The importance of integrating seismic with well control, calculation of reflection coefficients, development of synthetic seismograms, and utilization of check shot surveys and VSPs.
• Seismic interpretation and steps in prospect development and delineation, including 2-D and 3-D seismic methods, basic information obtained and possible pitfalls. Also, the role of seismic data in development geology (the usage of 4-D seismic analysis or 3-D through time).
• Identification of direct hydrocarbon Indicators (HCIs).
• Seismic stratigraphy and its applications.
• Techniques such as AVO analysis and pore pressure prediction, seismic inversion and seismic coherence.
AIPG CPG's and Members receive discounted registration rates!!
* Order the Course with 1 CEU Credit - AIPG Accredited (1.0 CEU max. with completion of course and multiple choice exam) Temporarily unavailable.
* Order the Course with 0.8 CEU Credits - AIPG Accredited (0.8 CEU's awarded with completion of course without exam) Temporarily unavailable.
* Order the CD (as reference material). The CD consists of approximately 439 pages