China continues to grow and provide opportunities, it is expected over the next five years the economy will increase 7% annually and the country's GDP in 2015 should exceed US$8,270 billion (55 trillion yuan). The growth in China provides opportunities for growth between established providers and emerging competitors.
It also presents some challenges which need to be considered when doing business in China from intellectual property, to cost structure and government policies. The panelist will each share their insights on working with China and provide best practices for due diligence, negotiation and sustaining.
The panelists will be addressing the following and other questions:
• How are Chinese/Chinese negotiations different from Chinese/US negotiations?
• How does negotiating with the Chinese differ from negotiating with other nationalities (e.g., Russia and India)?
• What are some of the tactics that the Chinese use that are not familiar to first-time U.S. negotiators?
• What can you expect from a written contract with the Chinese? What's your experience with using a boilerplate contract?
• How do I find advice for deal making? Can you suggest a general process for vetting foreign legal counsel?
• What are some of the factors to consider such as the diversity of the other party in terms of age, location, education, nature of the company, nature of the deal, etc.?
• Is there a set of rules or other things I need to be prepared for when negotiating with Chinese?
This is a joint meeting with Licensing Executives Society (LES) an association with an interest in the transfer of technology, or licensing of intellectual property rights - from technical know how and patented inventions to software, copyright and trademarks and the Association for Strategic Planning™ (ASP) who is committed to enhancing the profession of Strategic Planning and enabling people and organizations to succeed through improved strategic thinking, planning and execution. These organizations have great synergy with ASAP, so this presents an excellent opportunity for collaboration and networking.