IHLA Marketing & Events Internship Spring 2017
Duties & Responsibilities
The intern will primarily be responsible for assisting the Director of Education & Communications with the following:
Marketing & Social Media
- Research, create, and post content on IHLA social media pages including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn
- Content strategy is continually developing but focuses on promoting and providing up-to-date information and interesting content about:
- Upcoming IHLA member events, campaigns, and programs including Stars of the Industry, the Educational Foundation, StayGreen, Illinois Chapter of AH&LA Under 30 Gateway, and Illinois Women in Lodging (I-WIL)
- Member news and accolades (Hotel members, Strategic Partners, and Allied Members)
- Other relevant topics, news, and articles relating to the hospitality industry
- Sort through Facebook and Twitter feeds for additional relevant content to share and interact with member and partner Facebook and Twitter pages
- Strategize and assist with increasing page followers
Hospitality Awards Luncheon, Pony Up for the Kids, Educational Seminar
- Assist with event preparation and registration process as needed
- Attend and assist with registration and raffle ticket sales during events as needed
- Assist with Educational Foundation scholarship application process
- Assist with StayGreen Program duties as needed
- Assist with administrative duties as needed
- Attend events and committee meetings that occur during time of internship (When available)
The Intern will report to the Director of Education & Communications and assist the Events Director as needed.
The Intern should be able to work at least 15-20 hours per week from the IHLA office for a minimum of 8-12 weeks.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task, excellent time management skills
- Experience with MS Office and social media applications
- Experience with creative writing on social media platforms
- Willing to take initiative on projects and suggest innovative solutions
IHLA’s Internship Program offers students a hands-on opportunity to learn about marketing, event planning, program management, and fundraising. It provides students with the opportunity to increase their hospitality industry knowledge and attend networking events with key players in the industry. It also provides an in-depth view of how associations operate and satisfies course credit in applicable cases.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Karrie Teel at KTeel@IllinoisHotels.org by March 27, 2017. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and those qualified will be scheduled for a phone or in person interview.