The StayGreen Program was launched by the Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association (IHLA) in 2008 to recognize its hotel members that proactively use eco-friendly products and services to reduce their impact on the environment. In 2015, IHLA partnered with TripAdvisor GreenLeaders, offering an opportunity for IHLA member hotels to earn dual recognition and additional marketing exposure for their green efforts. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 315 million unique monthly visitors. The StayGreen Program also focuses on providing members with resources and information about the most current green trends and practices in the hospitality industry.
To become a recognized StayGreen Hotel,
IHLA members must meet the minimum GreenLeaders program requirements and score a 30% or above on the TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Survey
. Properties that score a 40% or above are recognized as StayGreen Elite. Achieving these scores will also qualify a property as a TripAdvisor GreenLeader.
Complete the online survey HERE
Hotels that qualify as StayGreen and TripAdvisor GreenLeaders receive the following benefits:
- StayGreen and TripAdvisor GreenLeaders Certificates of Recognition and GreenLeaders window stickers to display at hotel
- Listing on IllinoisHotels.org and GreenEventApp.com
- Acknowledgement in IHLA e-newsletter and social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Use of StayGreen (or StayGreen Elite) logo and GreenLeaders badge on hotel website and marketing materials
- Downloadable TripAdvisors widget for use on hotel website
- GreenLeaders badge in TripAdvisor search results and on TripAdvisor listing page (When travelers click the GreenLeaders badge, they will see the list of all green practices that the property currently has in place.)
- Appearance in exclusive TripAdvisor search results: When travelers click the “Green” filter button for accommodations in a specific area, only GreenLeaders properties show up.
- Special recognition in TripAdvisor reviews: Travelers can add “Green Features” comments to their review, giving hotels more public recognition for their environmentally-friendly efforts.
- Competitive Advantage: More exposure to and business from meeting planners and leisure travelers who prioritize eco-conscious hotels
- Opportunity to work with a Kendall College student intern who will assist with sustainability projects and other hotel duties as needed
Visit the STAYGREEN RESOURCE CENTER
For questions about the StayGreen Program, please contact:
IHLA Director of Education & Communications
KTeel@IllinoisHotels.org | 312-346-3135 x233