Please submit any Assessing Related Employment Postings to MAAO
Send posting to firstname.lastname@example.org
Town of Sharon
Senior Clerk – Assessor’s Office
The Town of Sharon is seeking a full-time (37.5 hours/week) Senior Clerk in the Assessor’s Office to provide skilled record keeping, administrative and clerical support work in assisting the Administrative Assessor and the Board of Assessors to discharge the duties of the office.
Position responsibilities include: Entering and verifying computer work on real estate and personal tax bills; preparing bills for motor vehicle excise; and providing information in the office, and by telephone or mail, to property owners and others regarding the town's assessment policies and procedures, the determination of specific valuations, tax abatements, and exemptions, ownership, property records and assessed values. Assisting taxpayers in applying for abatements and exemptions, explaining the laws and procedures when necessary.
Education & Experience: Associate’s Degree preferred with minimum one year experience, preferably in a municipality, performing similar duties. General knowledge of Massachusetts General Law pertaining to assessment procedures and experience with Vision CAMA and Munis billing software highly desirable.
Starting Salary Range: $44,400 – $47,100 annually DOQ, plus benefits.
How to apply: Submit required resume, cover letter and employment application through email (preferred) to email@example.com or by mail to Lauren Barnes, Assistant to the Town Administrator, 90 South Main Street, Sharon, MA 02067 by March 1, 2019. The application can be found on the town’s website, www.townofsharon.net. If submitting by email, please use “Position: Senior Clerk” in the subject line.
posted 2/12/2019 to be removed 3/2/2019
Town of Millbury
The town of Millbury seeks qualified applicants for full-time benefitted position of Principal Assessor in the Assessors’ Office, starting July 1. Normal work week is Monday through Friday with hours subject to assignment through the Finance Director. Attendance at Board of Assessors meeting is required. Work may be performed outside and inside the office and in inclement conditions.
Essential functions include but not limited to: Managing and performing appraisals of residential, commercial, industrial and personal properties. Tracking building permits; listing, measuring, and inspecting properties to verify accuracy of assessment data. Assists with the development and oversees the computerized data to meet state mandated certification standards in accordance with the Department of Revenue regulations and Massachusetts General Laws. Prepares classification hearing documents for presentation for Tax Classification Hearing, works with Finance Director to prepare Recapitulation Reports for annual certification of tax rates and Revaluation Consultants to certify annually values statistically acceptable to the Division of Local Services. Supervises staff and contractors, critiques abatement and exemption requests as well as negotiates settlements of outstanding tax appeals. Performs all other related work as required.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree with three years professional experience in assessment administration, real estate appraisal or related business experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated ability to read deeds and plans. Must have a valid driver’s license. Applicants should also have excellent customer service and communication skills. Massachusetts Accredited Assessor (MAA) designation within one year of hiring. Preferred Qualifications: Massachusetts Accredited Assessor (MAA) designation. Computer skills with Microsoft Word and Excel and familiarity with the Vision C.A.M.A. system preferred.
All applicants must pass a criminal background/CORI check and a pre-employment physical including drug testing. Starting Salary Range: $64,000 – $72,000 Resumes will be accepted until position filled: firstname.lastname@example.org AA/EOE]
posted 2/8/2019 to be removed 4/8/2019
TOWN OF WEST BRIDGEWATER
Administrative Clerk in the Assessor’s Office
Part Time Position
The Town of West Bridgewater is seeking a Part Time (24hrs/week) Administrative Clerk in the Assessors’ Office. The ideal candidate should have strong computer skills knowledge of Microsoft Office products and Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) software. Preference given for candidates familiar with Patriot Properties’ software system and or KVS software.
An Associate’s Degree and or (5) years equivalent experience in assessing/appraisal work is preferred. Job description and application available at http://westbridgewaterma.org/departments/human_resources/. Applications should be submitted to John Donahue, Principal Assessor at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, preference given to applications received by February 17, 2019, at 12:00 p.m., Salary range is $20.99-$28.96.* Position may become full time pending Approval of Funding at the Annual Town Meeting in June 2019. EOE/AA
posted 2/6/2019 to be removed 2/18/2019
Town of Great Barrington
The Town of Great Barrington seeks qualified candidates for the position of a full-time Principal Assessor. The Principal Assessor is responsible for administrative, technical, and supervisory and site inspection work related to the valuation and revaluation of all residential, industrial and commercial real estate and personal property in the town in accordance with Department of Revenue regulations. A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education as an Assessor or licensed appraiser; 5-7 years progressive work experience in assessing; and or property appraisal, demonstrating skill in data processing, database management and computer application knowledge of State CAMA and MUNIS preferred. Massachusetts Accredited Assessor Certification is required or ability to obtain within two years of appointment. Applicants must have a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle operator’s license and a working knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws relating to the assessment of property in Massachusetts. The Town of Great Barrington offers a competitive benefits package with a salary range of $68,000-$73,000. Please send cover letter and resume to: Jennifer Tabakin, Town Manager, 334 Main Street; Great Barrington, MA 01230 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Full job description is available at townofgb.org. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. The Town of Great Barrington is an EEO/AA employer.
Town of Tewksbury
Senior Account Clerk (Assessor’s Department)
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidate for this position should have a High School Diploma or equivalent and three (3) years bookkeeping, accounts payable, typing, computer, and office experience dealing with the public, or an equivalent and relevant combination of education and experience.
To see job description please click on the following link https://www.tewksbury-ma.gov/human-resources/pages/employment-opportunities
HOURS: 37.5 hours a week
SALARY RANGE: $34,259 – 47,221
BENEFITS: Paid sick leave, vacation; contributory health, dental and life insurance.
POSTING DATES: From: January 30, 2019 To: February 11, 2019
TYPE OF POSTING:Union and Open
Applications may be obtained online at www.tewksbury-ma.gov or at the Human Resources office at the Town Hall located at 1009 Main Street.
The Town of Tewksbury is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer.
This is an AFSCME Local 833 position Grade 1
Posted 1/4/2019 to be removed 1/12/2019
Director City of Cambridge Assessing Department
The City of Cambridge is a AAA rated community by the three major rating agencies. FY19 total assessed value is 49 billion comprised of $18 billion (commercial), $1.6 billion (personal property) and $29.4 billion (residential). The Director of Assessment serves as Chair on the three-member Board of Assessors and supervises the Assessing Department, which has 13 full-time positions. The position reports to the Assistant City Manager for Fiscal Affairs and is a key member of the City Manager’s fiscal and management team. The ideal candidate will have strong leadership, organizational, communication, customer service, technical and property valuation skills and experience.
The Director of Assessment will plan and direct the assessment of real and personal property for the City by, supervising and training staff; interpreting and administering the General Laws of Massachusetts and directives of the Department of Revenue regarding real estate assessments and exemptions; monitoring the Assessing Department Budget and approving expenditures and other duties as required and assigned. Other specific duties include but are not limited to the following;
- Maintains the Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) System.
- Develops residential and commercial models for assessing files.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and controls administration of real property, personal property and motor vehicle excise tax assessment functions in accordance with applicable laws and guidelines.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the Vision Appraisal CAMA system coefficients.
- Responsible for all internal audit reports and all reports as required by the Department of Revenue (DOR) related to assessment data, including annual reports in-depth quinquennial reports, and annual forms required by DOR for DOR’s approval of the City’s tax rate.
- Assists in the development of the annual tax rate/classification recommendations by the City Manager to the City Council
- Assists in the development of three annual newsletters to residents regarding property taxes, classification, tax rates and abatements and exemptions.
- Provides related assessing and tax projections contained in the annual audit, rating agency presentation, official statement and budget prepared by the City.
- Reviews applications for abatement and requests for statutory tax exemptions.
- Analyzes legal files on tax appeal cases for needed action and recommends action to be taken.
- Prepares and reviews real estate appraisal reports as needed.
- Administers the selection of all outside professional contractors (legal, appraisal and technical) and monitors performance.
- Researches and creates policy documents and reports based on City Council requests on various property tax and valuation issues, including the drafting of home rule petitions for consideration.
- Serves on various working groups related to zoning and planning issues, short-term rentals, housing, business improvement districts and the like.
- Prepares and presents presentations to various citizen, business and other groups.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, finance, property valuation or related field with five years of management and/or real and personal property assessing experience in a metropolitan city or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Holder of a certification as a Certified Massachusetts Assessor, Massachusetts Accredited Assessor or other professional assessing and/or appraisal designations is highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully working with commercial property owners and the local business community, is highly desired.
- Experience testifying before the Appellate Tax Board is preferred, as is experience in assisting in the management of litigation related to property assessment.
- Ability to utilize a variety of reference, descriptive and advisory data and information such as real estate documents, building permits, statistical reports and other related documents.
- Demonstrated experience in valuing substantial commercial properties such as office buildings, hotels, research and development facilities and biotech properties preferred.
- Must demonstrate the ability to perform data analysis and implement decisions based on such data, then oversee the execution of these decisions.
- Experience must also include prior supervisory responsibilities of a staff, which may include first-line supervisors.
- Must be detail oriented, able to adhere to mandated deadlines, and have excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent writing, oral presentation and public relations skills are required.
RATE: $143,000- 159,730/year PLUS applicable stipend as provided for under MGL Chapter 59 Section 21A ½.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Resume and cover letter requested by 2/13/19. Position will remain open until filled. We are an AA/EEO Employer.
posted 1/17/2019 to be removed 2/14/2019
Town of Hanover
The Town of Hanover is seeking an experienced Assessing Technician to assist the Town’s Assessor to perform a wide range of administrative duties for the Assessing Office and the Board of Assessors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Professionally answers telephone and assists the public, including appraisers, realtors, banking personnel as well as the general public. Accurately processes abatements of automobile tax on a timely basis. Reviews and enters property transfers (deeds and probate). Provides certified lists of abutters as requested. Valuation responsibility: must have ability to pass, and will be required to successfully complete, Massachusetts Department of Revenue Course 101 and Massachusetts Association of Assessing Officers Course 200. Conducts field inspection of new building permits; listing, measuring and calculating the value of new construction. Conducts inspection of property at the request of property owners and has the authority to adjust the valuation based on findings in compliance with the assessing system. Conducts inspections as part of the cyclical inspection program. Other duties may be assigned.
An Associate’s Degree or a high school diploma with two to four years’ experience working in an Assessing office strongly preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge of correct procedure to measure, sketch and inspect residential and commercial properties is preferred. A high level of experience with Microsoft Word and Excel is desired. Experience in the real estate market and inspection of properties is preferred, as is a background in finance, assessing, and/or appraisal. Be willing to take and pass DOR Course 101 and MAAO Course 200 and should be willing to work towards becoming MAAO certified.
This position is covered under the Hanover Municipal Employees League. The rate of pay is up to a maximum of $55,000 annually. The deadline for application is until position is filled. Please submit an employment application to Ann Lee, Executive Assistant, Town of Hanover, 550 Hanover Street, Hanover, Massachusetts 02339 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org . For a complete job description, please use this link https://www.hanover-ma.gov/sites/hanoverma/files/uploads/12-5-18_-_job_posting_-_assessing_technician_-_12-19-18.pdf
posted 12/11/2018 to be removed when position is filled.