Ombudsman Program: The Northeast Association of REALTORS® has implemented an Ombudsman program. The Ombudsman Program in its simplest definition is informal telephone mediation. In some cases it can address and solve minor complaints from the public. It can also solve inter-REALTOR® conflicts before they become serious problems. Like a mediator, an ombudsman helps parties find solutions.
The following types of cases can be handled through the Ombudsman Process:
• Communication based
• Non or small monetary amount
• May be solved by providing simple education
• May be solved by providing basic knowledge
The following types of cases cannot be handled through the Ombudsman Process:
• Apparent violations of law
• Fair housing or discrimination issues
• Those already referred to legal counsel, a subject of a Massachusetts Board of Registration of Real Estate Brokers and Salesperson investigation, a REALTOR® vs. REALTOR® arbitration which shall be handled by the association’s mediator.
• Large monetary amounts
• Complex cases
• Cases involving more than two parties
• Blatantly unreasonable or uncooperative parties
To access our Ombudsman services:
Contact NEAR Professional Standards Coordinator Sharon Sarvela (Sharon@NortheastRealtors.com or 978/577-6138).