Governing Boards: Creating Strong Cultures to Avoid Risks
and Maximize Opportunities
Thursday, December 6, 2012 - Harrisburg
The stronger the Governing Board…
... the stronger the organization
...the greater the potential to achieve mission
What are the key elements to promote an active and engaged board of directors? Is your organization clear on board/staff roles? “Who” is doing “what” right to create a strong board? This Standards for Excellence® program provides tools and guidelines for effective and accountable board management to help your board avoid risks and maximize opportunities for your organization.
Additionally, one of the greatest weaknesses across the nonprofit sector is an understanding of the fiduciary responsibilities board members assume when joining a board. The IRS is putting greater focus on the role of the board, making it even more critical that board members are well-prepared for their positions and knowledgeable about their accountability. A key question asked after every nonprofit scandal is “Where was the board?”
You will learn to:
· Recognize full scope of fiduciary responsibilities
· Identify tools and practices to manage board operations more effectively
· Examine proactive approaches to management of board/staff issues
· Recognize methods for determining the “ethical culture” of your organization
· Review how to do an internal legal audit of your organization
Who should attend: Board members and key staff— content is appropriate for all levels of experience. We encourage several people to attend from each organization (see pricing below) and try to make it affordable to send more than one person. This can also be a great "mini retreat" for board and staff!
Presenter: Tish Mogan, Standards for Excellence Officer, PANO
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2012
Time: 4:30-7:30 p.m. (Registration begins at 4:00 p.m.)
|GIANT Harrisburg - Blue Mountain Commons|
2300 Linglestown Rd
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Fees: 1 Attendee: $62 PANO Members/$112 Non-members (Light dinner provided)
Additional Attendees from same organization: $14 PANO Members/$24 Non-Members
(For example, A PANO member with 3 attendees would be $62+$14+14=$90)
3 CFRE Credits Available!
Questions? Contact Britton Miller, email@example.com or 717-236-8584
*Please read Special Instructions (below) before registering:
To register, you will need to:
1) Have a PANO user account (get a user account)
2) Be logged in to your user account (login to my account)
*Special Instructions when registering for this program:
- If you are registering one person, select "1 person."
- If you are registering two people who are already in our database, click "group registration" (top or bottom of page) and then select "2 people" from the drop down and select your colleagues who wish to attend.
If you are registering more than two people or if you are having trouble registering, please fax in the PDF registration form found on the description page for this event or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.