Operating and Capital Budgeting (CPFO Review)
Date July 19-20, 2018
Times 9:00 am to 5:00 pm - Day One
8:30 am to 11:00 am - Day Two (exam 1-3 pm)
Location Roanoke Higher Education Center, 108 N. Jefferson Street
CPE Credit: The class will count as an elective or Operating and Capital Budgeting course in the VGFOA-RU certificate program and qualify for 10 CPE credits.
The course covers the content specifications and recommended readings for the GFOA’s Certified Public Finance Officers Association Operating and Capital Budgeting exam. Course topics include:
- Budget Process and Organization – legal foundations for the budget, the relationship between operating and capital budgeting, the budget structure, time periods covered and the relationship between budgeting and accounting
- Linkage of budgeting to long-range planning – multi-year forecasting, planning and goal setting including short and long range goals, and performance measurement
- Budget and financial policies – purpose and role of financial policies, study of policies in the areas of budgeting, reserves/fund balances and program policies
- Operating budget – types of budgets, steps of development and approval of the budget, and monitoring of the budget
- Revenue forecasting and analysis – forecasting methodologies and practices, revenue options, and monitoring
- Capital budgeting – preparing and adopting the capital improvement program and budget, including evaluation of capital needs and alternatives, financing options and monitoring
Participants will receives GFOA publications, Revenue Analysis and Forecasting and Financing the Future: Long term Financial Planning.