The Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association (IHLA) is a not-for-profit, 501(c)(6) trade association that represents the lodging industry in Illinois. IHLA members consist of over 500 hotels and their employees throughout the state as well as related industry partners and suppliers. IHLA provides significant benefits to its members by:
- Advocating the industry's position on political, legislative, and regulatory issues that have the potential to impact the success of Illinois hotels
- Educating through quality, relevant seminars and webinars
- Providing promotional exposure and access to current industry news, resources, and contacts through IHLA’s website, marketing initiatives, member programs, and networking events
- Recognizing hotel employees for their outstanding accomplishments, service, and leadership in the Illinois hospitality and lodging industry
Illinois 2017 Lodging Industry by the Numbers*
Hotels are an integral part of the fabric of each community across the country, advancing lifelong careers, investing in community development, and boosting economic opportunities. Here is a snapshot of how much Illinois hotels contribute:
- 1,460 properties in the hotel industry
- 281,732 hospitality jobs
- 144,090 hotel jobs
- 154,000 guest rooms
- 36.7 million occupied room nights annually
- $47.4 billion in business sales
- $25.0 billion contributed to GDP
- $19.7 billion in guest spending at hotels, local businesses, and on transportation
- Hotel sales (revenue, plus certain taxes) increased to $7.7 billion.
- The hotel industry supports $14.6 billion of labor income, including $2.5 billion at hotel operations.
- Hotels support $7.1 billion of federal, state and local taxes. This is equivalent to $1,489 per household annually.
*Source: Bureau of Economic Analysis, Census Bureau, Oxford Economics, Longwoods International, and STR. For more information, please visit ahla.com/who-we-are. Figures based on 2015 data.