Fluids, Electrolytes, and Acid-Base Series: Intracellular Electrolytes
Date: May 14, 2019
Time: 3:00 - 4:30 PM ET
This registration is for part 3 of the series. To register for the full series for additional savings, click here.
Nutrition support clinicians perform a critical role in the identification and management of fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base abnormalities in patients requiring specialized nutrition support. A comprehensive understanding of these disorders is critical for optimizing management of enteral and/or parenteral nutrition, as well as intravenous fluids. This four-part webinar series is intended for dietitians, nurses, pharmacists, physicians, or allied health professionals desiring to learn a systematic approach to fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base disorders. The overall objective of this series is to provide clinicians with the knowledge to accurately assess adult, pediatric, or neonatal patients given varying patient case scenarios. In this session, the learner will be introduced to the nutritional based management of calcium and the predominantly intracellular electrolytes (i.e., magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus).
1. Evaluate electrolyte disturbances involving calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus for various patient populations.
2. Identify treatment strategies to manage electrolyte disturbances involving calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus for various patient populations.
3. Create a nutritional management plan for a patient at risk for refeeding syndrome.
Faculty and Topics
Potassium and Magnesium: It's All in the Cells
Jessica Monczka, RD, CNSC, Nutrition Support Dietitian, Option Care Home Infusion - Denver, Denver, CO
Calcium and Phosphorus: Oh No! My Bones!
Mary Petrea Cober, PharmD, BCNSP, BCPPS, Clinical Coordinator - Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Pharmacy, Akron Children's Hospital/Associate Professor - Pharmacy Practice, Northeast Ohio Medical University, Akron, OH
Mary Petrea Cober, PharmD, BCNSP, BCPPS
CE Credit: 1.5
This registration is for part 3 of the series. To register for the full series for additional savings, click here
Interested in additional resources for staff and students? Check out these publications from the ASPEN online store:
- ASPEN Enteral Nutrition Handbook Second Edition
- The Painless Guide to Mastering Clinical Acid-Base, 1st Edition
- Guidebook on Enteral Medication Administration
Click here to review our webinar FAQs!!!