Are you interested in the MVMA Power of Ten Leadership Program?
The Power of Ten Leadership (POTL) Program is designed to help recent graduates develop skills in leadership, communication and business. Ten MVMA members were selected to participate in the 2016 POTL program. Participants will join a network of peers in a series of learning experiences that will begin with a full day on March 20 with trainer Karlene Belyea (www.karlenebelyea.com) and will continue through September with three to four workshops on financial management, legislative advocacy, media relations and related topics.
The Power of Ten is a pathway to help recent graduates answer questions like:
- I emerged from veterinary school and I’m in practice – but how can I get a better grasp on what makes me tick?
- Now that I have a technical staff, how can I form, manage and lead an effective team?
- Who am I in the bigger picture, and what can I give to my family, my community and my profession that will be my legacy?
In-person learning experiences are scheduled to minimize the impact on working hours – and the entire program is designed to garner support from practice owners who recognize their responsibility in developing human resources.
MVMA President Meghan Flanagan, herself a recent graduate, will be one of the Power of Ten coaches. She will be assisted by a team of subject matter experts, veterinary mentors and certified facilitators in helping Power of Ten participants grow through in-depth, high impact learning experiences.
Participants will receive full tuition scholarships to the program – plus complimentary registration for the 2016 New England Veterinary Conference in Portland, where Power of Ten Leadership Academy graduates will be recognized. MVMA will provide meals for sessions and, if needed, lodging for the 3-5 Power of Ten sessions which are currently being planned. Content and location of the sessions will be determined in part by input received from the selected applicants.
Through the Power of Ten, participants will:
- Develop fundamental understanding of leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Deepen comprehension of communication styles and skills
- Acquire critical skills to intensify business acumen
- Gain the competency to utilize these skills within one’s life, practice and community
- Heighten awareness of one’s self and better understand how to maximize interactions with those around you
- Develop a vision of the leader you can be
- Experience a supportive environment that fosters meaningful interpersonal relationships and collaborative, lifelong interactions
Interested in applying?
Get your practice owner to commit to supporting your involvement in this initiative since it means you will likely miss several days of work for these important sessions.
Applications for the 2017 Leadership Academy will be available in November 2016. 2016 Information Sheet (PDF).
Questions or interested in the 2017 program? Email us at email@example.com.