Working with Deaf Clients and Sign Language Interpreters (live teleconference available)*
Presenter: Heather Gilbert, Esq. CI/CT, SC:L, Gilbert Law PLLC, Attorney and Certified Sign Language Interpreter
Panelists: Rick Macpherson, Minnesota Disability Law Center, Summra Shariff, Attorney at Law
Learn about the unique cultural and language aspects to working with Deaf clients; when and how to hire an interpreter; legal obligations, technology use and cost saving tips for providing effective communication for deaf clients, and much more.
Time: 8:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Registration: 8:00 to 8:30 a.m.
Location: Room 42, Ramsey County District Courthouse, 15 West Kellogg Blvd, St. Paul
Credit: 2 Elimination of Bias Credits approved; CODE # 172758
Cost: $40 RCBA members; $60 non-members
Teleconference Cost: $60 RCBA members; $80 non-members
In this 2-hour CLE, participants will learn about:
1) Unique cultural and language aspects to working with Deaf clients
2) When and how to hire a qualified legal sign language interpreter
3) Legal obligations, use of technology and cost saving tips for providing effective communication for deaf clients
4) Tax credits and incentives for providing disability accommodations
5) Working with interpreters, appropriate and inappropriate use of court-provided sign language interpreters
Participants will hear from a panel of attorneys experienced with working with deaf clients in the second half of the CLE.
*Participants may attend this CLE via teleconference for $60 for RCBA members and $80 for non-RCBA members. Please send an email to email@example.com or call 651.222.0846 to arrange for attendance via live teleconference. Instructions for accessing the teleconference will be sent prior to the CLE. We cannot offer the live teleconference to law students for free. Law students may still attend the live presentation for free.