Frequently Asked Questions

Additional FAQs for Idaho Practitioners


Q: I moved after I submitted my application - what should I do?
A: Please complete the Account Update Form, including your name, candidate ID number and new contact information. Forms can be sent by mail, fax (410-789-7675) or email to


Q: I already have a copy of my transcript and/or diploma - can I send that to USPRA?
A: Maybe. If the transcript is in its original sealed envelope from the school, it will be accepted. If not, you will need to request that an official transcript be sent to you for inclusion with your application, or directly to the USPRA office.

Q: If I am having my transcripts sent to USPRA, what address should they be mailed to?
A: They should send the transcript directly to the Certification Department at:

Professional Credential Services/USPRA Certification
P.O. Box 198768
Nashville, Tennessee 37219-8768


Q: I am currently enrolled in a Bachelors (or Masters) degree program. Should I have my college send a transcript?
A: No, we require only transcripts from degrees/educational programs that have been COMPLETED. (e.g., if you are currently enrolled in a Bachelors' or Associates' degree program, then you would provide your high school transcript.  If you are currently enrolled in a Masters Degree program, then you provide a transcript of your undergraduate studies).

Q: I have a Masters degree in an unrelated field, but I have a Bachelors degree in Psychiatric Rehabilitation, which transcript should I send?
A: If you do not want to submit any training hours, then you should submit the transcript for your Bachelors degree.


Q: How do I know if I need to submit training/contact hours?
A: Very few candidates are exempt from this requirement. Only individuals with a degree specifically in psychiatric rehabilitation are exempt. All others, including those with degrees in other mental health fields will need to submit training hours.

Q: How do I know which trainings will be accepted toward the 45 hours?
A: Only coursework/trainings in psychiatric rehabilitation, reflective of the Exam Blueprint, will be accepted toward the required 45 contact hours. 

Q: How much work experience do I need?
A: The amount of work experience required varies and is dependent on the level of academic preparation. Please review the initial eligibility requirements to determine your pathways. Employment verification forms must document the required psychiatric rehabilitation experience requirement of your eligibility pathway and cover the entire period of time required for eligibility. If you do not have enough experience at your current place of employment, please have a previous employer(s) verify past employment to ensure that you have the appropriate documentation.


Q: How do I verify my employment?
A: The exam application includes a copy of the Employment Verification Form. It is your responsibility to have the form completed by your employer(s). The employer(s) should return the form to you in a sealed envelope with their signature across the back of the envelope flap. You will then include the sealed envelope(s) with your application packet. If employment verifications are not in signed and sealed envelopes, your application will not be processed. 

Q: Do I need to submit a list of all my licenses?
A: No. However, in order to protect the people who may be receiving your services, we do need to know about any revocations or sanctions of licenses or other professional credentials.

Q: What should I do if I have a suspended or revoked license?
A: If you have licenses, registrations or certifications that have been revoked, if you have been sanctioned in any way, or if you are presently under review for possible sanction, answer the questions on the application form truthfully and submit a letter describing the situation and any actions that have been taken. In that letter, please include the following: name of license or certification; the state or organization issuing the license; the license #; the date issued; the expiration date; contact information for verification including contact person; address; phone number; and, if available, email address.

Q: How will a revoked or suspended license affect my application process?
A: Any information about revocation of professional licenses or credentials or professional sanction will be reviewed by the Certification Commission to determine if the situation indicates unprofessional or unethical behavior which could be harmful to persons receiving services. If such a determination is made, the application may be denied.


Q: Do all applicants have to submit a criminal background check authorization form?
A: No, as of 2010, this has been removed from the application process. If a criminal background investigation is warranted, you will be notified.

Q: What types of criminal activities should I submit an explanation for?
A: Include information describing any felony conviction. Also include any misdemeanor conviction in the last five years, unless it was:

  • An offense committed before your seventeenth birthday.
  • A first misdemeanor conviction of drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, or disturbance of the peace.
  • A misdemeanor conviction that occurred more than five years ago, unless you have been convicted on any offense over the last five years.
  • A misdemeanor conviction which resulted in a period of incarceration which ended more than five years ago unless you have been convicted of any offense within the last five years.

Q: What happens if I have a felony conviction or if I have to report a misdemeanor?

A: In order to protect people who may be receiving your services, we need to know about any criminal convictions. Any information about a criminal conviction will be reviewed by the Certification Commission to determine if the conviction indicates behavior that could be of danger to persons receiving services. If such a determination is made, the application may be denied.


Q: I am currently on probation (or parole), can I  become a CPRP?

 A: Candidates who are currently on probabation or parole, are not eligible to sit for the exam. Applications submitted by a candidate who is currently on probation or parole will be denied and all fees forfeited.


Q: Do all applicants have to agree to the USPRA Code of Ethics?
A: Yes. psychiatric rehabilitation practitioners who seek acceptance into the Certification Program agree to uphold the USPRA Code of Ethics for Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioners, hereafter called the Code. An applicant must read the Code carefully and understand the potential ramifications of violating the Code. In the application you are required to sign an agreement to abide by the Code. Failure to sign this portion of the application will result in denial of your application.


Q: Why is it important to sign this section of the application?
A: Applicants are expected to provide truthful and complete information. Any application missing crucial information or found to be dishonest will be denied.



Q: What happens if I do not submit my payment with my application?
A: You may be assessed a late fee. Your application will not be processed until we receive your application and all related fees.


Q: If I am denied will I receive a refund?
A: No, all fees are non-refundable.


Q: If I change my mind about taking the exam, will I receive a refund?
A: No, all fees are non-refundable.

Q: Can I start my application if it is not complete?
A: Yes, the online system will allow you to enter the application over time. It will not be reviewed until payment it is complete and payment is received.

Q: When do I need to submit my application?
A: Application deadlines are approximately two months prior to an exam date. Please see Exam Dates & Locations for exact deadlines.

Q: What happens if my application is submitted after the deadline?
A: All applications received after the "late deadline" will be reviewed for the next available exam date.

Q: How will I know if my application has been received?
A: If you have provided an email address, you will receive a receipt for payment by email. Due to the high volume of candidates, staff cannot respond to telephone inquiries regarding application status.


Q: When will I learn my exam results?
A: In order for statistical analyses to be made on the certification exam, you will not be notified immediately of your exam results. Instead, you will be notified via email of the exam results in approximately eight weeks after you take the exam.

Q: What happens if I fail the exam?
A: Candidates who fail the exam will have one opportunity to retake a scheduled exam, within 12 months of their initial application date, without submitting a new application. Candidates wishing to retake, must submit a retake request form along with any applicable payment. If an individual fails the exam twice, he or she must submit a new complete application and full application fee. There is no limit to the number of times an individual can take the exam.

Q: What happens if I pass the exam?
A: Candidates who have passed the CPRP exam will receive a letter of acceptance, a CPRP Certificate, a CPRP Identification card, and information on certification maintenance requirements. Once you have become a CPRP, you are responsible for maintaining CPRP status.


Q: I think my exam was scored incorrectly. What do I do?
lf you believe the results of your examination are wrong, you may appeal to USPRA. To initiate this process, you must do so within 30 days of receiving your score report. The computer testing companies will hand-score your examination and mail you the results for a fee of $150.

Q: What if I have a question that is not on this list?
A: If you have a question that is not covered in our FAQs or in the application manual please contact the certification department.


Q: What type of work experience is acceptable?
A: Work experience must be related to providing psychiatric rehabilitation for adults with serious mental illness. The employee’s work had a job description; was regularly scheduled; was supervised by a psychiatric rehabilitation practitioner (someone familiar with psychiatric rehabilitation but not necessarily certified) and was regularly evaluated. Some examples are: working as a case manager, vocational counselor, independent living support counselor, residential treatment counselor, or club house staff. Supervision, administration, and training in psychiatric rehabilitation are also considered work experience.

Q: Can I use part-time employment as work experience?
A: Yes, however it must be equivalent to the full time requirement (FTE). For example, two years of part-time (20 hours per week) work experience is equivalent to one year of  FTE (40 hours per week) work experience.

Q: Can I use volunteer employment as work experience?
A: Yes, however unpaid work experience can only be used to fulfill up to 50% of the requirement. For example, an applicant with an MSW needs one year of FTE. This applicant could use up to sixmonths of unpaid work experience towards their one year work experience requirement. The unpaid work experience must also be documented with an Employer Verification Form.