C3: Photonic Interconnects - an Overview
Instructor: Kannan Raj, Oracle
This short course will provide an overview of optical interconnects in telecom and datacom applications. The following topics will be covered in detail:
- Anatomy of a link
- Progression toward optical links
- Short reach & long reach links
- Building blocks of transceivers - electronics, lasers, detectors
- Optical transceiver types and fiber connectivity
- Assembly of optical transceivers
- Industry standards and form factors
- Electrical, thermal, Mechanical and optical requirements
- Dense integration requirements
- Embedded optics in systems platforms
- Dense integration requirement for next generation links
- Silicon photonics
- Interposers, multi-chip photonic modules & assemblies
- Connectors, packaging & assembly constraints
- Reliability requirements
Who Should Attend?
Professionals with background in the semiconductor, optical, packaging and manufacturing industry.
Kannan Raj is a Senior Director at Oracle in the Networking Group. He came into Oracle via Oracle’s acquisition of Sun Microsystems. Prior to Oracle & Sun Microsystems, he served as the Datacom product line manager at Zarlink Semiconductor and Primarion, growing groups in Phoenix and Sweden from startup phase. He also played significant roles at Intel and has managed several industry-university collaborative programs. He has a Ph.D. from George Mason University, MSEE from Virginia Tech, ME from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. He holds 60 issued patents and has co-authored over 125 conference and journal publications. He was elected Sr. Member IEEE in 2004.