The Sustainability course focuses on Phase 3 of the Shop! Value Cycle – Build and will take approximately sixty minutes to complete.
Successful completion of the Sustainability course will provide current Shop! MaRC holders with 1 PDU in Build towards their tri-annual recertification.
What legacy do you want to leave behind at the end of your life? It’s a question that sounds like it belongs in a philosophy class rather than a Retail eLearning course. But this is the fundamental purpose behind sustainability. Sustainability is basically the capacity to endure. The most widely known and often used definition of sustainability is a result of the 1987 World Commission on Environment and Development, which defined it as: “Meeting the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Define sustainability.
- Discuss how a proposed sustainability strategy affects each of the three areas of The Triple Bottom line.
- Describe why retailers need to pay attention to sustainability trends.
- Characterize the state of green building in retail.
- Identify factors that influence green building decisions.
- Explain the benefits retailers gain by building green.
- Describe how the use of integrative design affects building green decisions.
- Identify characteristics of sustainable retail fixtures and construction material.
- Describe how the use of life-cycle assessments affects green marketing decisions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of product Eco labels and what they communicate.
- Demonstrate knowledge of green building rating systems.
- Explore options for benchmarking sustainability efforts.