Legal Issues in
Explore the trending legal issues impacting the retail environments industry, including:
- Privacy Rules – The GDPR, California Consumer Privacy Act, and biometric privacy regulations are significantly impacting how retailers deploy technology in both the brick-and-mortar and online settings. Find out what retailers and their suppliers need to know about these regulations.
- Leveraging Intangible Assets – Recent studies have shown that as much as 85% of enterprise value is driven by intangible assets (e.g., patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and know-how). To maximize long-term enterprise value, it's critical to understand legal strategies for maximizing these assets.
- Protecting Customer Relationships – Businesses often suffer significant setbacks from the departure of a key employee with sensitive company information or a key customer relationship. Learn what you can do to protect yourself from these risks.
- Bankruptcy Strategies – With the uptick in retail bankruptcies (e.g. Sears, Toys R Us, Brookstone, The Walking Company, etc.), suppliers in the retail industry need to be proactive to minimize losses in the event a customer files for bankruptcy protection.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify the trending legal issues affecting the retail environments industry;
- Understand how emerging retail technologies are impacted by state and federal regulations;
- Recognize trends in privacy regulations and their impact on retail;
- Understand strategies to protect your business’s intangible assets that drive long-term value;
- Understand strategies to legally protect valuable employees, customer relationships, and confidential company information; and
- Understand strategies to protect your business from the bankruptcy filing of a key customer relationship.
Credits: Successful completion of this course will provide current Shop! MaRC holders with 1 PDU in Evaluate towards their tri-annual recertification.
Presenter: Rich Tilghman, Partner, Nixon Peabody
Course Length: 45 Minutes
Course Components: Webinar and quiz based on webinar
Shop! Value Cycle Focus: Phase 5 of the Shop! Value Cycle – Evaluate
MaRC Recertification Credit: 1 MaRC – Evaluate PDU