Release of Information in California: Medical Records and the Court System
CHIA Product Code: E-book 003
Copyright © California Health Information Association
Medical records play a very important part in lawsuits. Health information staff and custodians of records need to understand what is required when medical records are sought as evidence. Medical records can play a part in a malpractice lawsuit, an injury lawsuit, or a variety of other types of lawsuits.
This E-book will provide the student with basic information about how the court system works and the important role the medical record plays within the courts. The student will also learn the way attorneys may request information under California Evidence Code Section 1158. Lastly, the student will learn about court orders and subpoenas, and the requirement the custodian of records must follow to be compliant for civil, criminal, and administrative proceedings.
CHIA recommends you read the Release of Information in California: Introduction E-book first. This E-book is offered at no charge and includes the ROI Glossary of Terms that is used in all subsequent ROI E-books.
CLICK HERE to download sample pages and view the OUTLINE
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
• Understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of patient records and protected health information (PHI) and what PHI may be released upon request.
• Understand and appreciate the complexities and responsibilities inherent in releasing protected health information to internal and external requestors.
• Articulate the importance of releasing-patient specific health information according to current laws and regulations.
• Differentiate between the different state of California and federal laws regulating release of patient specific information and apply them appropriately in all situations
• Utilize resources to maintain current competencies and keep abreast of changing requirements.
CEUS & SELF ASSESSMENT QUIZ
Three CEU’s offered (HIM Domain: Privacy & Security).
You will be given access to the quiz within three business days of purchase. Each quiz may be attempted three times. A link to the Self Assessment Quiz is provided within the purchased E-book. The Quiz is comprised of multiple choice and true/false questions. Correct answers will be provided after the first attempt. Upon completion of the Self Assessment Quiz, a Certificate of Completion (CEU) will be available to download and print. You will not be able to access the Certificate after exiting the Quiz, so be sure to download it immediately and retain as evidence of the earned continuing education.