Release of Information in California: General Releases
CHIA Product Code: E-book 002
Copyright © California Health Information Association
These days, patients are encouraged to keep their personal health records. For this reason, it has become crucial for the health information management (HIM) department staff to act as an advocate for each patient who enters the HIM department. As the patient advocate, it is important for you to know that all patients possess the right to have their medical records released, even if the patient is deceased!
CHIA recommends you read the Release of Information in California: Introduction E-book first. This E-book is offered at no charge and includes the ROI Glossary of Terms that is used in all subsequent ROI E-books.
CLICK HERE to download sample pages and view the OUTLINE
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
• Articulate the importance of releasing patient-specific health information according to current laws and regulations
• Understand and appreciate the complexities and responsibilities inherent to releasing protected health information to internal and external requestors
• Understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of patient records and protected health information (PHI).
• Utilize resources to maintain current competencies and keep abreast of changing requirements
• Define the basic terms associated with patient privacy and release of patient information.
• Describe federal and state legislation regarding patient privacy and release of information.
• Differentiate between the different state of California and federal laws regulating release of patient-specific information and apply them appropriately in all situations.
• Understand the release of information with and without authorization to/for: Patients, patient’s family, minors, deceased patients, and/or the patient’s legal representatives
CEUS & SELF ASSESSMENT QUIZ
Two CEU’s offered (HIM Domain: Privacy & Security).
You will be given access to the quiz within three business days of purchase. Each quiz may be attempted three times. A link to the Self Assessment Quiz is provided within the purchased E-book. The Quiz is comprised of multiple choice and true/false questions. Correct answers will be provided after the first attempt. Upon completion of the Self Assessment Quiz, a Certificate of Completion (CEU) will be available to download and print. You will not be able to access the Certificate after exiting the Quiz, so be sure to download it immediately and retain as evidence of the earned continuing education.