Release of Information in California: Special Health Records
CHIA Product Code: E-book 012
Copyright © California Health Information Association
The purpose of this e-book is to provide background and authoritative information on special health records, that includes mental health records, substance abuse records (alcohol and/or drugs), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) laboratory tests.
CHIA recommends you read the Release of Information in California: Introduction E-book first. This E-book is offered at no charge and includes the ROI Glossary of Terms that is used in all subsequent ROI E-books.
CLICK HERE to download sample pages and view the OUTLINE
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
• Identify a request for documents that have restricted release.
• Understand current laws and regulations that govern special health records.
• Validate a request for special health records, to assure it is complete and correct.
• Define psychotherapy notes.
• Apply Lanterman-Petris-Short Act [California Welfare and Institutions Code 5328] to a request for record release.
• Definite patient-physician privilege as it relates to mental health records.
• Process a mandatory disclosure for restricted release records
• Identify and process a permissive disclosure of restricted release records.
• Process a clinician refusal of access to or release of restricted release records.
• Describe the Tarasoff Act [Welfare and Institutions Code 8105 (c) and the application to mental health records.
• Release of substance abuse records.
• Exceptions for release of minor records in substance abuse programs.
• Release of HIV test results.
• Articulate the importance of releasing patient-specific health information according to current laws and regulations
• Understand and appreciate the complexities and responsibilities inherent to releasing protected health information to internal and external requestors.
• Understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of patient records and protected health information (PHI).
• Utilize resources to maintain current competencies and keep abreast of changing requirements.
CEUS & SELF ASSESSMENT QUIZ
Two CEU’s offered (HIM Domain: Privacy & Security).
You will be given access to the quiz within three business days of purchase. Each quiz may be attempted three times. A link to the Self Assessment Quiz is provided within the purchased E-book. The Quiz is comprised of multiple choice and true/false questions. Correct answers will be provided after the first attempt. Upon completion of the Self Assessment Quiz, a Certificate of Completion (CEU) will be available to download and print. You will not be able to access the Certificate after exiting the Quiz, so be sure to download it immediately and retain as evidence of the earned continuing education.