Release of Information in California: Worker’s Compensation
CHIA Product Code: E-book 004
Copyright © California Health Information Association
The custodian of records may be presented with a Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board subpoena at any time. In order to respond to these requests, the custodian of records must possess knowledge of the similarities to and differences from other types of subpoena, e.g., civil subpoena, and the role that medical records play. Equipped with this knowledge, the custodian of records can assure that policies and procedures are in place to protect the health care provider and can comply with applicable legal requirements.
This E-book will provide the student with understanding of the California’s workers’ compensation laws that are designed to ensure that prompt and appropriate medical care is provided to workers who have suffered from a work-related injury or an illness.
CHIA recommends you read the Release of Information in California: Introduction E-book first. This E-book is offered at no charge and includes the ROI Glossary of Terms that is used in all subsequent ROI E-books.
CLICK HERE to download sample pages and view the OUTLINE
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
• Understand the role of medical record documents in a Workers’ Compensation case.
• Reference federal and state laws that pertain to workers’ compensation issues.
• Recognize the benefits to which an employee is entitled under workers’ compensation insurance and employer requirements.
• Understand release of patient information for a workers’ compensation claim.
• Understand how the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board is structured and its function.
• Understand the components of a valid subpoena and how to comply in a workers’ compensation case.
CEUS & SELF ASSESSMENT QUIZ
Three CEU’s offered (HIM Domain: Privacy & Security).
You will be given access to the quiz within three business days of purchase. Each quiz may be attempted three times. A link to the Self Assessment Quiz is provided within the purchased E-book. The Quiz is comprised of multiple choice and true/false questions. Correct answers will be provided after the first attempt. Upon completion of the Self Assessment Quiz, a Certificate of Completion (CEU) will be available to download and print. You will not be able to access the Certificate after exiting the Quiz, so be sure to download it immediately and retain as evidence of the earned continuing education.