Release of Information in California: Business Associates
CHIA Product Code: E-book 008
Copyright © California Health Information Association
This E-book discusses the requirements for business associate relationships as defined by the HIPAA Privacy Rule, 45 CFR §164.502€(1) and the HIPAA Security Rule, 45 CFR §164.308(b), and §164.314. This e-book defines a business associate, discusses exceptions to who is a business associate, reviews the requirements of a business associate agreement and discusses the consequences of violating a business associate agreement.
CHIA recommends you read the Release of Information in California: Introduction E-book first. This E-book is offered at no charge and includes the ROI Glossary of Terms that is used in all subsequent ROI E-books.
CLICK HERE to download sample pages and view the OUTLINE
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
• Understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of patient records and protected health information (PHI) and what PHI may be released upon request.
• Understand and appreciate the complexities and responsibilities inherent in releasing protected health information to internal and external requestors.
• Articulate the importance of releasing-patient specific health information according to current laws and regulations.
• Differentiate between the different state of California and federal laws regulating release of patient specific information and apply them appropriately in all situations.
• Utilize resources to maintain current competencies and keep abreast of changing requirements.
• Define a business associate.
• Describe the requirements of a business associate agreement.
• Understand the exceptions to business associate requirements.
• Discuss the consequences of violating a business associate agreement.
CEUS & SELF ASSESSMENT QUIZ
Two CEU’s offered (HIM Domain: Privacy & Security).
You will be given access to the quiz within three business days of purchase. Each quiz may be attempted three times. A link to the Self Assessment Quiz is provided within the purchased E-book. The Quiz is comprised of multiple choice and true/false questions. Correct answers will be provided after the first attempt. Upon completion of the Self Assessment Quiz, a Certificate of Completion (CEU) will be available to download and print. You will not be able to access the Certificate after exiting the Quiz, so be sure to download it immediately and retain as evidence of the earned continuing education.