Release of Information in California: Public Health Agencies
CHIA Product Code: E-book 007
Copyright © California Health Information Association
This E-book will assist the student in understanding federal privacy laws (HIPAA) release of protected health information (PHI) to coroner’s office and California state laws regarding the functions of the agencies, what PHI may be released upon request, whether a signed authorization for release of information is necessary and what state regulation apply in this context. The e-book will assist the student in understanding federal privacy laws (HIPAA) regarding release of protected health information (PHI) may be released upon request, whether a signed authorization for release of information is necessary and what state regulations apply in the context.
CHIA recommends you read the Release of Information in California: Introduction E-book first. This E-book is offered at no charge and includes the ROI Glossary of Terms that is used in all subsequent ROI E-books.
CLICK HERE to download sample pages and view the OUTLINE
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
• Articulate the importance of releasing patient-specific health information according to current laws and regulations.
• Understand and appreciate the complexities and responsibilities inherent to releasing protected health information to internal and external requestors.
• Understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of patient records and protected health information (PHI).
• Utilize resources to maintain current competencies and keep abreast of changing requirements.
• Define the basic terms associated with patient privacy and release of patient information.
• Describe federal and state legislation regarding patient privacy and release of information.
• Differentiate between the different state of California and federal laws regulating release of patient-specific information and apply them appropriately in all situations.
• Gain knowledge as it applies to public health agencies in:
• California state law
• Federal law
• Release by public health authority
CEUS & SELF ASSESSMENT QUIZ
Two CEU’s offered (HIM Domain: Privacy & Security).
You will be given access to the quiz within three business days of purchase. Each quiz may be attempted three times. A link to the Self Assessment Quiz is provided within the purchased E-book. The Quiz is comprised of multiple choice and true/false questions. Correct answers will be provided after the first attempt. Upon completion of the Self Assessment Quiz, a Certificate of Completion (CEU) will be available to download and print. You will not be able to access the Certificate after exiting the Quiz, so be sure to download it immediately and retain as evidence of the earned continuing education.