Release of Information in California: Introduction
CHIA Product Code: E-book 001
Copyright © California Health Information Association
This E-book provides a basic overview for the release of patient health information in accordance with federal and state statutes, regulatory requirements and provider policies and procedures. Fundamental provisions of the federal Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA), ARRA HITECH and the state of California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) are discussed. Whereas some of the information is California specific, much of the content falls under federal regulation and HIPAA.
CLICK HERE to download sample pages and view the OUTLINE
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
• Articulate the importance of releasing patient-specific health information according to current laws and regulations
• Understand and appreciate the complexities and responsibilities inherent to releasing protected health information to internal and external requestors
• Understand the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of patient records and protected health information (PHI).
• Utilize resources to maintain current competencies and keep abreast of changing requirements
• Define the basic terms associated with patient privacy and release of patient information.
• Describe federal and state legislation regarding patient privacy and release of information.
• Differentiate between the different state of California and federal laws regulating release of patient-specific information and apply them appropriately in all situations.
CEUS & SELF ASSESSMENT QUIZ
Two CEU’s offered (HIM Domain: Privacy & Security).
You will be given access to the quiz within three business days of purchase. Each quiz may be attempted three times. A link to the Self Assessment Quiz is provided within the purchased E-book. The Quiz is comprised of multiple choice and true/false questions. Correct answers will be provided after the first attempt. Upon completion of the Self Assessment Quiz, a Certificate of Completion (CEU) will be available to download and print. You will not be able to access the Certificate after exiting the Quiz, so be sure to download it immediately and retain as evidence of the earned continuing education.