The purpose of periodic renewal is to measure continued competence through identification of the individual’s dedication to enhance their professional development through continued education. The professional development must demonstrate that the education obtained covers the scope identified in the original content outline of the certification exam.
In order to maintain your certification, you must renew certification every four years. Renewal can be obtained by paying the renewal fee, and by the following:
- Renewing certification based on meeting all of the following requirements:
- Certified professional must have been employed in a management or leadership position in a home care or hospice organization or related field for a minimum of 12 months of the last 48 months. Please note that the experience must be in the auspice of certification.
- Certified professional must acquire at minimum 50 points total in the following two sections:
- Section 1: Continuing Education (CE)
- Provide evidence of a minimum of 36 continuing education hours (36 points) obtained within the last four years. One contact hour (50 minutes) = 1 CE/point. All 50 points can be obtained through CE hours but a minimum of 36 hours is required through CE. All CE obtained through courses must be relevant to the certification content. Other remaining points may be obtained through participation in other activities.
- A portion of the required points may be acquired in the other activities section. A maximum of 14 points can be acquired in the other activities section.
- Section 2: Other Support Activities
- Membership in an industry trade association
- Voluntary leadership position in an industry trade association
- Author of published industry related articles
- Teaching education courses relevant to the industry
- Participation in certification examination activities.
For more information regarding these specific sections of the renewal requirements, please see the application form.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to turn in the completed application and renewal fee within the timeframe required. Candidates are responsible to track their renewal date. Application for renewal and all applicable fees should be sent in prior to the certification expiration date.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not submit proof of CEUs to NBHHC as you earn them. Your CEUs and supporting documentation should be submitted to NBHHC together prior to the certification expiration date.
Renewal applications and payments should be sent to:
NBHHC Certification Renewal
3780 Rosin Court, Suite 150
Sacramento, CA 95834
or email to email@example.com
HOW TO EARN POINTS TOWARDS RENEWAL
There are several ways you can obtain points towards your renewal. You can earn them by attending educational events from accredited providers or by participating in other supporting activities.
EDUCATIONAL EVENTS (SEMINARS, CONFERENCES, WORKSHOPS, AUDIO SEMINARS, ETC.)
One way of earning points is to attend educational events covering topics identified under the examination blueprint. Qualifying CEUs are awarded for educational content only, not for social/networking events, meals or non-educational general sessions. To submit CEUs, simply include them in the Continuing Education Record portion of the Application for Certification Renewal AND you must include a copy of your Certificate of Completion with your Renewal Application.
PLEASE NOTE: Videos, audio CDs, online education and similar formats are considered to be events for purposes of CEU calculation and documentation requirements.
OTHER SUPPORT ACTIVITIES
Another way of earning points is to participate in other support activities such as membership in an industry organization/association, voluntary leadership roles in a state trade association, authoring published industry related articles, teaching continuing education courses and certification examination activities. For more information regarding certification renewal activities, please refer to the Certification Renewal Application (see appendix).
CERTIFICATION FEES AND REFUND POLICIES
Fees must be prepaid by credit card or check. If paying by credit card, form must be filled out completely including cardholder signature.
Renewal Application Submission Fee:
Renewal Late Fee:
(Certifications expired under one (1) year upon receipt of renewal application by NBHHC are subject to a late fee.)
* Certifications expired for more than one (1) year are not eligible for renewal.
* All fees are subject to change at any time. Fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Fee Payment Policy: All returned checks will be subject to a $25.00 service charge per item. If the check does not clear, NBHHC will only accept a money order or credit card. All outstanding balances must be paid upon submission of application.
- Payment of Renewal Late Fee is required if the renewal application is received by NBHHC post expiration date through one (1) year after certification expiration.
- After one (1) year from certification expiration, the certification is ineligible for renewal. To obtain a new certification the candidate must follow the initial certification process. (See page 5 of Candidate Handbook for eligibility requirements and applying for examination.)